Cruz acts “selfish” at the RNC

by Alex Malm ’17
@Malm_A13
July 21, 2016

When Ted Cruz, the closest competitor to Donald Trump in the primaries, stepped to the podium to address the Republican National Convention he had a chance to bring unity to the party. He chose not to.

RNCDay2-PaulRyan

Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan addresses the Convention delegates. Photo | PoliticsFitzU

All eyes were on Cruz to see if he would endorse Trump, who had just become the official nominee of the party. During the primary race, Cruz pledged that he would support the nominee of the Republican Party. Despite this, the Senator from Texas continued to hold out on his endorsement for the nominee.

The stage was set for Cruz on Wednesday night for him to endorse. He had a prime time spot the day after Trump officially was given the nomination. He bowed out.

Trump and top advisors were quick to react Wednesday night. Trump tweeted, “Wow, Ted Cruz got booed off the stage, didn’t honor the pledge! I saw his speech two hours early but let him speak anyway. No big deal!”

Chris Christie even called it “selfish” from the floor of the Convention in Cleveland.

Boos erupted from the crowd among many who weren’t appreciative of Cruz holding out and not offering support.

But Mike Pence, the newly nominated Vice Presidential candidate gave a unifying and electrifying speech. Pence even used some of the same language Trump is famous for using like “huge” and closing his speech by saying “Make America Great Again.”

RNC-Day2-Cowboys for Trump

Trump won the delegates at the RNC, but Cruz refuses to endorse him as the nominee. Photo | PoliticsFitzU

Alex Malm is a senior political science major at Franklin Pierce University and is the Director of PoliticsFitzU. From Warwick, Rhode Island, this is his first Convention.

For more updates and information follow the members of PoliticsFitzU’s adventures at the Republican National Convention with @PoliticsFitzU on Twitter.

Categories: Uncategorized