Pence has little support, but that can change

by Matt Scoville ’18
@matt_scoville

July 21, 2016

At the Republican National Convention, some Republicans still are unfamiliar with Governor Mike Pence, Donald Trump’s vice presidential pick.

Mike Pence, Donald Trump

Cleveland : Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, points toward Republican vice presidential candidate Indiana Gov. Mike Pence after Pence’s acceptance speech during the third day session of the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, Wednesday, July 20, 2016. AP/PTI(AP7_21_2016_000014B)

Diane Bitter is one of the New Hampshire delegates who wants to get to know him better. Bitter said she had never heard of him before. “He’s one fellow, believe it or not, that I have never met,” she states. “I’m from New Hampshire, [and] we’re accustomed to meeting these guys on a regular basis, and I haven’t met Mike. I want to hear what he has to say.”

Bitter’s first opportunity to hear Pence was on July 20th, when Pence made his address to the RNC. But Bitter, like other Republicans I talked to, would also like some more depth to their knowledge about the VP pick.

Kim Snyder of Cleveland, OH didn’t know much about Pence wither, but she did think he had a calming effect. “I know he is a born again believer and he might be able to keep Donald Trump under control,” she said.

Trump has been known to be an outspoken and sometimes over-the-top candidate, even offending some in his own party. But from Snyder’s point of view, she feels that Hillary Clinton and President Obama are inciting social problems and Trump and Pence can bring a calming effect to the country.

Deb Usay, also from Cleveland, OH is a self-proclaimed “diehard” Republican. She supported Pence as a vice presidential nominee because of his religious background and his stern attitude.

“I like him because he is a conservative Christian,” Usay said. “He can create strong economy [in] Indiana and can advise Trump in areas that he is inexperienced in, because he has already been in office before.”

Usay originally wanted former Congressman Newt Gingrich to be Trump’s pick. “I really wanted Newt Gingrich as a choice, but he’s a loose cannon. He made the conservative choice with Pence,” she said. According to Usay, Trump is outspoken and Pence is conservative and they create a balanced ticket.

These women all agreed on the level of safety and security they felt at the convention.  As Snyder said, she was watching the protests from the road and thought how the police were doing a great job at keeping the peace with the protest.

With the delegate roll call almost completed, the Trump-Pence ticket, while not necessarily well understood, does seem to have quite a bit of support.

Matt Scoville is a junior mass communications major at Franklin Pierce University. He is from Torrington, CT, this is his first Convention.

For more updates and information follow the members of PoliticsFitzU’s adventures at the Republican National Convention with @PoliticsFitzU on Twitter.

Categories: RNC, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , ,