PoliticsFitzU team arrives at the DNC during email leak

By Alex Powell ’17
@PowellAlex88

July 25, 2016

The PoliticsFitzU team from Franklin Pierce University arrived in Philadelphia on Sunday amidst a damaging DNC email leak by Wikileaks. The reveal of the emails has led to the resignation of Party Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who says she will step down after the convention. Veteran Democratic strategist Donna Brazile will serve as interim Chairwoman.

Wasserman Schultz_RNC

Wasserman Schultz was at the RNC just days before the damaging DNC Wikileaks email release that forced the party’s Chairwoman to resign. Photo | PoliticsFitzU

This is just the latest mishap from the DNC and Clinton campaign that has Sanders delegates in a tough spot as they try to unify the party around a platform that many consider the most progressive of all time. This week will determine mood and set the tone for what the Democrats will bring to the general election in November.

Using various social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Periscope, and Snapchat the student team media will be posting news, photos, videos, and highlights during the four-day convention. In addition the team’s partners the Boston Herald and Pierce Arrow will be publishing articles and videos.

Throughout the day the PoliticsFitzU team will continue to post breaking news, protests, and delegate interviews as the convention will be gaveled to order at 4 p.m.

Tonight the team will be on scene for the highly anticipated speakers Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, presidential candidate and U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders and First Lady Michelle Obama. Sanders the leader of the political revolution and Warren who is considered the voice of the progressive faction will be discussing making the economy work for everyone and not just the top.

Speakers and key figures will also focus on unifying the Democratic party during the tumultuous time.

DNC-Powell at podium

Alex Powell ’17 poses at a podium at the DNC. Photo | PoliticsFitzU

Alex Powell is a senior Political Science major at Franklin Pierce University and is the former director of PoliticsFitzU. He reported from the Iowa caucus, and has been published by the Boston Herald and Pierce Arrow. He has also been a frequent guest political analyst and commentator on Boston Herald Radio for the show “Primary Matters.” Powell is from Swampscott, Massachusetts.

Categories: DNC

Tags: , , ,