What you need to know about Third Party candidates

By Sophie Nikolenko

@sophienikolenko

Do you hate the democratic and republican nominee like the majority of the country? Look no further, there are more options than the polls believe you to think.  Before you cast your vote, here are some critical things you need to know about the third party candidates.

Gary Johnson, former governor of New Mexico,  is the Libertarian Presidential Candidate. Libertarians are fiscally conservative and according Johnson “socially don’t give a damn, as long as you don’t force your social whatever it is on anyone else.”  Johnson values individual freedom and creating a conservative economy.

Johnson does not support a federal minimum wage, and would eliminate all federal wage standards.  This would give businesses an opportunity to pay above or below the current minimum wage.  Without minimum wage, Johnson believes the market will be able to function likes it’s supposed to.

Johnson is 100% pro-choice when it comes to abortions and pro-life when it comes to the death penalty.  He believes women should the decision to have an abortion until fetal viability.  He would keep Planned Parenthood if elected.

Immigration is one of the hottest topics in this year’s election.  Johnson is very pro-immigration and thinks that deporting 11 million immigrants is “crazy”.  Embracing the immigration issue would be the best result.

Like most fiscally conservative politicians Johnson hates taxes.  He would get rid or income tax. corporate tax and abolish the IRS completely.  In place he would put in one federal consumption tax.

On the other end of the spectrum is Jill Stein, is the Green Party Presidential Candidate. The Green Party has a strong focus on the environment and green energy.  Stein does not take any money from large corporations or lobbyists and they do not have super PACs.  She firmly believes politics should be publicly funded.

Similarly to Senator Bernie Sanders, Stein calls for free public higher education.  Stein wants to bail out all young people that are locked into student loan debt.

Unlike Johnson, Stein is for a federal minimum wage.  She wants to increase the current wage to $15/ hour, in her eyes a living wage.  Raising the minimum wage will drive people out of poverty and “pay a fair wage”.

The Stein administration has climate change at a very high priority.  Stein claims that she will create 20 million jobs by transferring to 100% clean energy.  By doing this, she hopes to build the economy and the environment.

Stein, if elected president would legalize recreational use of marijuana. “As president, I wouldn’t want to remove all laws against all drug use. But marijuana is a drug that is dangerous because it’s illegal. It isn’t illegal because it’s dangerous. There are drugs in use that are far more harmful than marijuana — such as alcohol. Legalize marijuana and the dangers go away. Regulate it so that children can’t buy it on the street corner.” She believes that the stigma of marijuana is the most dangerous aspect of the drug.

Student loan debt has been a crippling issue for young people all across America.  Stein wants to abolish all student loan debt and guarantee tuition-free public schooling for all American students.  Stein also wants to focus on poverty stricken school districts and increase their funding to equalize education.

Although there are many more aspects to each candidate, these issues are crucial to their administrations according to their campaigns.  If Trump and Clinton aren’t your style, consider a third party candidate and change the history of the two party voting system.

Categories: Presidency & Press, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,