To support or Not to support… That is the Question

by Maria Soraghan                                                                                                                                         @Maria_Soraghan

With the most controversial election the country has ever seen, it is no surprise people are wavering in their decisions.

November 8 is in less than 2 days and so many republicans are finding themselves without a candidate to support. It is astounding to have started off with 16 options for president in the GOP race and still not have a person the majority likes. Many conservatives are voting for Trump but there is a large sum going to third party candidates or simply not voting at all. For politicians backed by the republican party however, options have been even more limited.

img_3269

Senator Ayotte on a Skype call with Pinkerton students. Photo by Maria Soraghan

Despite initial opinions in the primaries, the majority of republican politicians had publicly supported Trump’s candidacy in order to benefit their own campaigns. Statements were never enthusiastic but nevertheless, Trump had the support he needed. In a personal interview with Pinkerton Academy students, Senator Kelly Ayotte said, “I have disagreements with Mr. Trump and so while I will be voting for him because I agree with him more than I do Secretary Clinton, I just at this point can’t endorse him”. There was clear hesitation with the Senator, something common among all politicians.

A few months later though, many are regretting their public support after all of Trump’s scandals. Week after week, his support remained until the leak of the 2005 video of him making lewd comments towards women. The most impactful consequence of this video were politicians stating they were no longer voting for him. Senator Ayotte was one of the many who pulled her support. She stated “I cannot and will not support a candidate for president who brags about degrading and assaulting women”.

Senator John McCain also withdrew support releasing the statement, “Donald Trump’s behavior this week, concluding with the disclosure of his demeaning comments about women and his boasts about sexual assaults, make it impossible to continue to offer even conditional support for his candidacy”. The country is only waiting to see where these votes now lie.

With the decline of GOP support, Trump could be in serious trouble. Then again, his following always seems to show up when he needs it most. Tuesday is sure to be a suspenseful night across all party lines.

Categories: Presidency & Press, RNC

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,