The jury is in and…

by Travis Fischer

@TravisDFischer

Donald Trump will be the next president of the United States.

To some, this comes as quite a shocker. People who looked at the predicted polls before the actual polls opened saw that Clinton was supposed to win in a near landslide with over 300 predicted electoral votes (fivethirtyeight.com). But when the states started reporting, they were turning red faster than people expected.

At Trump’s victory speech, he was gracious and humbled at becoming the next president. After such a rough election trump had this to say; “Now it’s time for America to bind the wounds of division [we] have to get together.” The overall message was that this election season has divided the American people and it is time to get back to working together. Trump says that he “will be a president for all Americans” and that that is “important” to him.

Trump ran a campaign directed to the ‘silent majority.’ To the people  who felt disenfranchised by the government and felt that the mainstream media wasn’t reporting the stories important to their lives or were only reporting negative things (on Trump’s life). The silent Majority is the reason why Trump won, millions of people who did not respond to the polls came out and voted for him. But this isn’t the first time that the ‘Silent Majority’ won out.

img_20160810_172935208_top

A sign on the door of the Trump HQ in Manchester, NH. Photo by Travis Fischer

In 1969, then President Richard Nixon, gave a speech about “Vietnamization” where he was calling to reduce the number of troops in Vietnam but to continue the fight. This silent majority was the middle class Americans who did not protest the war and thought the media was dishonest. Trump using this tactic was a brilliant idea because many people do feel the media is dishonest and they do feel that Trump can bring change that will make them feel less disenfranchised.

But no matter what way people look at the results of last night, history was still made. When Donald Trump is sworn in on January 20th, he will be the oldest first term president in our country’s history. He will be 70 years old. The previous record holder was Ronald Reagan, who was 69 years old when sworn into office for his first term.

Categories: DNC, Presidency & Press, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , ,