Students interview Marlin Fitzwater for Presidency and the Press

On Tuesday, August 9, former press secretary of the United States, Marlin Fitzwater gave an interview to some local high school students, detailing his thoughts on both the political worlds of today and of yesterday.

The students received this opportunity as part of a program run by Franklin Pierce University, entitled “The Presidency and the Press.” Fitzwater participated in the program due to his involvement with the college. He has been involved specifically with The Presidency and Press program in varying degrees over the years due to his fluctuating health, but this year he felt healthy enough to do a few hours of interviewing with students.

Altogether, Fitzwater participated in interviews by students from five different public schools across New Hampshire. ConVal, Pinkerton Academy, Souhegan, Kingswood, and Keene were represented. Each school had approximately fifteen minutes to conduct their interviews.

In ConVal’s interview, topics such as the history of Fitzwater’s career, and the role of today’s youth in politics were highlighted. The most important aspect, however, was the students’ learning. The high school students had never worked on television before, and thus the learning opportunities were incredibly valuable.

One student said, “The chance to work on television was extremely different than anything else I had ever worked on, and to work with a professional like Marlin made it even better.”

Fitzwater was the only Press Secretary to be appointed and serve under two presidents, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. He stated that the largest difference between the two presidents was their character and personality. For example, Reagan preferred briefings to be handwritten, while Bush favored a more verbal format.

Additionally, Fitzwater had a positive view in regards to the younger generation of Americans and their involvement in politics. He believes that youth in the country are well-informed of the world around them and care to be involved in the political process. He had specifically noticed students attending the Presidency and the Press conference this week. He appreciated their questions and their enthusiasm for politics in general.

Categories: Presidency & Press

Tags: , , ,